It has been confirmed that Serie A will restart on 20 June, with the Coppa Italia semi finals being contested a week prior.
Italian football was halted due to the COVID-19 outbreak back in March, with the country being one of the worst affected by the virus.
Since then, plans have been afoot to secure Serie A’s return and – as reported by Football Italia – Serie A will finally resume on 20 June, following a meeting between club directors, medical professional and players on Thursday.
Prior to league action kicking off again, the second legs of the Coppa Italia semi finals will be played with both ties finely poised. Napoli beat Inter 1-0 back in February, while Milan and Juventus played out a 1-1 draw.
Things are similarly tight at the top of the Serie A table. Leaders Juventus are holding onto top spot by just one point with surprise package Lazio breathing down the Old Lady’s neck. Third placed Inter are nine points adrift after fading badly following their promising start to the season.
News of calcio‘s return has been greeted enthusiastically by Italy’s minister of sport Vincenzo Spadafora who featured prominently in Thursday’s discussions.
“It was a very useful meeting and, as we had said from the start, football was always going to resume when we had the conditions to ensure safety and the CTS gave the all-clear to the protocols,” he said in a statement.
“Italy is getting back on its feet and it is only right that football should do the same. The CTS agreed with the medical protocol, but confirmed the absolute necessity for a quarantine period if a player were to test positive.
“We also received guarantees the process of swabs for players must not affect or detract from the general population’s access to testing in any way.”
Spadafora added that the league would be suspended again if it was deemed unsafe and options to determine final league positions through a play off or using the existing table can be used at the FIGC’s discretion.