Juventus are ‘confident’ Paulo Dybala will sign a contract extension, according to the club’s chief football officer Fabio Paratici.
In an interview last week, 26-year-old Dybala expressed an interest in playing for Barcelona in the future – talking up the possibility of linking up with international teammate Lionel Messi.
“The truth is that Barcelona is huge team worldwide and with Messi there, even bigger,” he said. “It would be very nice, but Juventus is also an incredible club, very big, full of history, where there are currently great players.”
The Argentine has two years left on his current deal at Juve, while the Italian champions are keen to extend his stay, potentially offering a substantial pay rise to go with the new deal.
Goal report that Dybala, who was linked with Manchester United and Tottenham last summer, is demanding €12m a year (roughly €230k a week).
In an interview on Friday, Paratici told Rai Sport: “We are not worried, as we started discussing the situation with Dybala and his entourage, so we are absolutely optimistic and confident.
“Everyone who goes to negotiate a contract wants an improvement, so that’s entirely logical.”
With Dybala and Juventus both interested in an extension, it appears likely that a deal will be struck soon and – with the Serie A returning next weekend – both sides will be eager to get it done quickly, before focusing on securing a ninth straight league title.
Maurizio Sarri’s side are currently sitting at the top of Serie A, but are only one point ahead of second place Lazio, in what could be the closest title race in recent years in Italy.
Juventus also squeaked into to the Coppa Italia final on Friday in their return to action, drawing 0-0 with Milan to go through on away goals.